History of Hillcrest
Hillcrest Baptist Church was organized with 10 members on June 2, 1920. The Rev. Van Dyke Todd served as supply pastor until September 1920. Services were held in the Trinity Heights School until 1922, when the first church building at Idaho and Elmore streets was completed. Additional buildings were completed in 1926, 1938, 1946, 1953 and 1963. In 1963 the church owned more than a city block of property, five three story educational buildings, and a 1500 seat auditorium. The church reached its peak with 3,776 church members at this location.
In 1970 the church sold its property to the St. John Baptist Church. The church body purchased 24 acres in the 6800 block of Boulder Drive and for two years met for services on the campus of Dallas Baptist University.
In August 1972, the church entered its new church plant on Boulder Drive. The second building of the master plan was completed in February 1978. The church completed its new sanctuary in April 1986 and now has 110,000 square feet of floor space in its buildings, including a three story education wing.
In August of 1980, Woodcrest, formerly Cedar Crest, merged with Hillcrest. Their church property was to be used as a Family Life Center for community activities for Hillcrest. It was sold to the Antioch Missionary Baptist Church on December 10, 1987.
In the fall of 1996 the facility at 6808 Boulder Dr., Dallas was sold to the Concord Missionary Baptist Church of Dallas, TX. The church reached a peak of 4922 members at this location.
The church body of Hillcrest Baptist Church held worship services at an interim location at 7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas. We anticipated being in our new location at Straus Rd/ Pleasant Run/FM 1382 early in the year 2000.
On November 12, 2000 we had our dedication service for the new Multi-Purpose Room/Preschool & Children’s Wing and Adult Sunday School Wing at the new location, 265 W. Pleasant Run Rd. in Cedar Hill, Texas. Almost immediately we outgrew the Sunday School space. The worship service was held in the MPR.
We had our Celebration Sunday for dedication of the new Sanctuary on January 6, 2002 . The auditorium had a seating capacity of 900 with a 200 seat choir loft. We had around 1200 in attendance that day.
On April 18, 2004 we began a dual Sunday School/Worship schedule to accommodate the large congregation.